Saturday, February 22, 2014

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here. That is mainly due to there being very few things to report and update.

I mentioned in the post from September that I would have a few updates regarding the status and future of El Monstro. Well I can talk a bit more about that here in a single post.

Present

The physical build has stalled for the time being. This is due in part to lack of funding but also due to other projects coming up and work in general.

I have continued to refine the design digitally. I have been printing some test parts but with my current 3D printer on the fritz I have to do some repair work before I can print any more test parts.

I am currently on version 3 of the El Monstro design. I have also been working on redesigning the hot end and doing some general work to bring the over all mechanical design into better shape.

The Future

I have recently applied for an Arch Grant! This would be a HUGE step in moving forward. While I am not looking to produce the printer's themselves, it would still help in the development of the large scale printer so that giant prints could be made.

An Arch Grant would be the next big step in allowing me to go full time as a maker. But that is just the first step. The steps that follow will be the important ones that would help me to sink or swim.

I have partnered with a friend and fellow 3D printing guru, Ryan Hendrickson. Together I feel that we will be able to TAKE OVER THE WORLD... of large scale 3D printing though FDM/FFF printers.

I am working on a model to post on here as a sign on where things are headed for us in the design and build of El Monstro v3. I have been working on ways to incorporate dual extrusion, a stronger build platform, a heated bed and a direct feed filament maker.

Ryan has been looking into things on the software side in order to help keep things moving from all angles. He has been researching and working on code to allow the big machine to work fast and effectively. Code isn't my strong suite but Ryan is great at it and I know that he will come up with something great.

The last exciting thing to mention is that with the help of one of the members of Arch Reactor (hacker space) we will be starting on building a filament grinder soon as well! This is a big deal as it helps to lower filament costs from failed prints!

We will also be starting work on a website soon so look for updates with links!

Keep checking back! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment