Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sponsorship!

A Monster Reborn

I would like to start off this post by giving a big thank you to OpenBuilds for their generosity in sponsoring the giant 3D printer, El Monstro! Part of the reason for the delay in posts has been from talking to the great folks at OpenBuilds and working on a new model for the printer.

The build is now going to be using the OpenBuilds V-Slot Extruded Aluminum pieces as a large part of the machine. The advantage with the V-Slot is the ability to quickly and easily assemble the parts, use standard v groove bearings and choose from their great number of plates!

 
I am finishing up the model using the OpenBuilds parts and I will have it up in a few days.

I have also been working on designs and ideas for an extruder nozzle. One of the issues that I have had to approach with an extruder for a large scale printer is how to heat enough material for a larger diameter nozzle. One of the solutions that I came up with was using a longer heated chamber with two heating cartridges allowing a larger volume of material to be readily heated. Ultimately though I think that I am going to do some testing with a spare heating block and nozzle that I have before I look into using two heater block. I am going to drill out the head from 0.4mm to 0.8mm and do a few tests. If need be I will step up to a 1mm bore.

So lots of things in the works! Tons to do! The biggest thing that is delaying things right now is waiting for items to arrive so that I can continue working. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment