Monday, July 8, 2013

Quick Update

Its been a little while since I posted any updates to El Monstro. I wanted to post that I am working on getting a few larger posts up and going but for now the build is at a stand still while I work through some design issues. The larger posts will cover the design issues that I am working through and hopefully show some progress on the build.

The rods that I was planning to use for the gantry turned out to be to thin for what I need. Because of this I had two options.
1) Get bigger rods (and bearings and pulleys)

2) Change to a different style of gantry that runs on tracks instead of using hardened rods.

I chose the latter. So for now I am working on getting things changed over to use a track based system. That means finding the correct parts to use and designing a whole slew of new parts then getting them printed! I am going to try to get a new post up about everything Monday night or Tuesday night. For now I leave you with this. A sample of all of the corner blocks that I ran through a band saw, drilled and counter bored by hand. Makes me wish I had a CNC machine for this kind of stuff!






No comments:

Post a Comment